Monday, November 9, 2015

8 Things To Do When The Days Get Shorter


I'm one of those people that really struggles when the days get shorter, and it feels like you're living in an eternal night (mare).  I know there's lots of us out there who struggle so I decided to write up a list of the things I do to keep my spirits up and try to appreciate the cosier time year.

1, Candles - OK so this is an obvious one but my ballet coach once said to me that lighting candles in the evening helps her mood because the light they give off is natural light as opposed to the artificial light of a light bulb.  I have no idea if there is any science behind this but I do like the idea, and candle light is much more soothing than the glow of a bulb.  Bonus points if they're scented too.  I know candles aren't convenient though if you've got babies or pets so maybe try number 2...

2.  A salt lamp - I was on holiday in a seaside town and spotted some well priced himalayan salt lamps in the shops there.  It was something I had read about as being good for eczema sufferers (something to do with it giving off salt in to the air when warmed by the light of the bulb inside).  Well I will try anything once if there's a change it could help with my eczema but asides from that it gives off a really nice warm glow.  The light is very similar to the glow of a candle or a fire so if candles aren't your thing but you like the idea of the warm glow they give off I would really recommend you try a salt lamp.  I would have one in every room if I could during the dark wintery evenings.

3. A warm bath - There's no windows in our bathroom but this seems to matter less when it's dark outside anyway.  I love to run a bath with some salts or oils in it, light a candle and read a book.  It becomes a nightly ritual in the winter time and it really does help to relax you in the evening.

4.  Embrace winter fashion - It sucks that the weather is so dreary outside but autumn/winter fashion is appealing for so many reasons.  Treat yourself by buying the softest, warmest jumper/cardigan you can find so that you wont feel the cold when you leave the house.  Not to mention the gorgeous boots/coats/hats that you finally get to wear.  Getting experimental with your style could give you something to look forward to when you wake up in the morning.

5. Autumnal make-up - You can get away with darker shades of lipstick, eyeshadow or blush (not all at once though!) when the days are darker.  Whatever you like to experiment with, now is the time to do it.  I like picking out a darker shade of lipstick to wear out on an autumnal weekend.  Darker shades work so much better with autumn fashion than with summer clothes.

6.  Hot drinks - Whatever your favourite hot drink is now you get to drink it all. day. long.  I love drinking different kinds of teas and mix it up through out the day drinking tea after tea.  I pop out to the supermarket and grab myself a nice selection I can look forward to working my way through during the colder months.

7.  Baking - I haven't got my baking on yet but if there's a good time to get the oven on warming the house and filling it with yummy smells then this is it.  Eating hot food is much more appealing and enjoyable when it's cold outside and there really is nothing better than filling the house with the scent of a roast dinner or apple crumble baking in the oven on a chilly day.

8.  Go for a walk - A big part of enjoying the cold weather is staying indoors and getting cosy, but to keep up your mood I would definitely recommend getting out for a bit every day.  Particularly when the sun is still up.  Getting fresh air always makes me feel better so on a day off work I will still make sure I go somewhere for a little walk.  What better way to get out and about than to wrap us warm and walk to a cosy coffee shop for that nice warm drink?

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I've been struggling with the dark days and cold weather, so i'll definately be trying these! I have become interested in winter fashion and make up! :) x

    ReplyDelete