Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pearl bar necklace DIY tutorial

Hello there!

Since I made my bar necklace a few days ago I thought it would be a great DIY tutorial to do.  This is my first jewellery DIY post!
Here is the necklace I made a few a days ago.
It's made from a selection of free beads I got with my jillybeads order!
I thought it would look great with some tiny pearl beads I've had lying around for a while.  They're really small around 2-3 mm and I thought they would be perfect for a second delicate bar necklace.
To make this necklace you will need jewellery making tools: round nose pliers, flat nose pliers, and wire cutters.
You will also need some chain, for this project I used the most delicate chain I already owned.
Two jump rings and a clasp.  
A head pin with a loop on the end and what ever beads you wish to put on the necklace with holes big enough to fit on your head pin.
Measure how long you want your necklace to be.  I just put it around my neck to see the length I want it not forgetting that the bar of beads will add to the length of it.  Then I cut it to the right length using the wire cutters.  Protect your eyes when doing any cutting with the wire cutter.
Then fold your cut chain in half and cut it again.  You now have two chains of equal length which you will attach to each end of the bar.
Next thread as many beads as you want to on to the head pin, leaving enough room at the open end to make a loop.
Bend the open end over to a 90 degree angle using the flat nosed pliers and then bend the wire around the round nosed pliers to form a loop.
Cut the excess wire using the wire cutters.  Then thread on the end of one of the chains on to the loop you just made and close the loop tightly using the flat nosed pliers.
Then open up the loop on the other end of the bar and thread the other chain on that loop then close the loop tightly.
Next open up the two jumps rings.
Attach one jump ring to each end of the loose ends of the chains.
Close one jump ring and slide the clasp on to the other jump ring before you close it.
 If the chain you are using is delicate you will have to make sure all the loops and jump rings are closed really tightly so the chain doesn't slip through any gaps.
That's all there is to it!  Now I have two pretty bar necklaces to wear.
Here's a picture of me wearing my pearl bar necklace.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

Twirlybirdie :)

2 comments:

  1. They are so pretty! Great DIY! Thanks for sharing!
    Just found your blog and really like it! Would you like to follow each other on GFC, Facebook or bloglovin to stay in touch? Let me know, thanks!

    xx,
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I have followed you on bloglovin. Your blog is awesome!
      xx

      Delete