Sunday, October 13, 2013

Baking Bread

Hi there

I hope you had a nice weekend.  I've been feeling a bit under the weather.  I don't like to take too many pills so on top of just one Coldrex tablet a day I've been drinking lots of green tea and taking my vitamin C.  I also bought some fresh ginger to put in my tea!

Lately I've been in a baking frenzy and was craving the smell of home made bread.  I've had a go in the past but this time was the most successful.  I like to just launch in to things instead of following a recipe perfectly so after looking at a few different recipes and techniques on line this is what I did.

I mixed 500g of strong white flour with 1 teaspoon of salt and a 6g sachet of dried yeast in a large bowl with my hands.  Then I made a well in the centre and added 300ml of warm water 2tbsp of oil and 1tbsp of golden syrup.  I mixed it all together with a spoon and when it was well mixed I took it out and kneeded the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 7 minutes.

I put the dough in my cake tin to rise and covered it with cling film.  I left it for 1 hour and then I knocked back the dough (pushed the air out of it again gently with my fists) and let it rise for another hour.  After all that it looked like this.

Pretty, haha.  Then I slashed it across the top a few times with a knife and popped it in the oven for about 40 minutes at around 200 degrees celcius ( I think it was actually just under).




I'm definitely no bread making expert but it tasted and smelt delicious.  Next time I really want to add some different flavours to it!  There's something so satisfying about making something as useful as bread at home.


I hope you had a great Sunday!

Until next time

Twirlybirdie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment